Flipkart is now forcing its sellers to use on Flipkart Branded packaging materials, which has put more burden/cost on its sellers.
In case of non-compliance, Flipkart will penalise the sellers by blocking their accounts or not delivering their orders.
Below are the reasons flipkart gave for forcing their packaging materials:
1) Flipkart says that their packaging is green and Enviroment friendly.
2) Flipkart says that they make no profit in this as the sellers will deal with the packaging vendors directly.
Sellers view point:
1) The packaging materials which sellers buy from other places is also Green and Environment friendly.
2) Flipkart sells the packaging materials at much higher price and they charge Shipping as well. It is easier and cheaper to buy good quality and environmental friendly packaging from outside.
3) Flipkart packaging must be ordered online and take few days to arrive, how to handle this delay. Also when more orders are there it is not a flexible option.
4) Sellers need to invest more upfront if they want to buy the packaging materials from Flipkart but this is not the case when they buy locally.
5) Flipkart sells only certain size products and there is no option to have custom made boxes.
6) So far, no other major player, Amazon, Paytm Mall, or Snapdeal has made it compulsory to use their own branded packaging, so why Flipkart now??