- Reliance Retail is testing a food and grocery app among employees before the commercial launch of its e-commerce platform
- This strategy mirrors the one adopted by Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries before the launch of Reliance Jio
- Mumbai: Reliance Industries Ltd’s retail arm—Reliance Retail Ltd—is testing its food and grocery app among its employees before the commercial launch of its e-commerce venture, mirroring the strategy India’s most valuable company adopted ahead of launching its 4G telecom service in Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd.
- The grocery app would be made available to the public by this year-end and orders made on the app fulfilled by local merchants, two people aware of the matter said, requesting anonymity.
- Reliance Industries’ entry into the Indian e-commerce market, if its aggressive foray into the telecom industry is anything to go by, may similarly upend the online retail industry that is dominated by US giants Amazon.com Inc. and Walmart Inc.-owned Flipkart, at present. While food and grocery is the largest consumption category in India, accounting for two-thirds of India’s retail market, online sales in this category are still restricted to the top cities.
- “We think Reliance Retail is most suited for an e-commerce play. They have the capital strength, a big offline presence, good brands in their kitty and significant grocery operation. If not this Diwali, we expect a launch of the e-commerce venture next year for sure,” said Satish Meena, senior forecast analyst at Forrester Research. “Though it may challenge the position of existing e-commerce majors, it will also attract new online buyers, which will be good for the segment.”
Pilot Projec ..
Read more at:Read More